Mar 1, 2013

Maybelline Color Whisper Review and Comparision: Oh La Lilac & Go Nude

I love balm/gloss/lipstick hybrid products and I was so in love with the Revlon Lip Butters last year, when I saw the new Maybelline Color Whispers I knew I just had to have a few shades. Goodness knows I shouldn't be buying more lip products, since I have a whole drawerful of barely used lipsticks, glosses and everything in between, but when have I ever let that stop me??

I've been on a huge lilac and nude kick lately, I just love the two colours for spring! They work well for the tail end of winter too :) I have been trying not to buy pink and peach shades, since I have an overwhelming amount of them, so I decided to get these two: Oh La Lilac and Go Nude.

Maybelline Color Whisper in Oh La Lilac and Go Nude
Maybelline Color Whisper in Oh La Lilac and Go Nude
Maybelline Color Whisper in Oh La Lilac
Maybelline Color Whisper in Go Nude

They go on very smoothly, but the nude shade was slightly uneven and showed flaky skin a little more. This was only really noticable on camera and super close up, in reality it looked pretty smooth and even. They feel hydrating like a balm and are quite nice and glossy. They didn't last very long, probably only about 2 hours before I had to reapply and they tended to wear a little unevenly.

Now for the comparison! Of course, when I got these home I discovered I had very VERY similar shades of Revlon Lip Butters. I decided to compare them with Gumdrop and Creme Brulee.

L to R: Revlon Gumdrop, Maybelline Oh La Lilac, Maybelline Go Nude, Revlon Creme Brulee

L to R: Revlon Gumdrop, Maybelline Oh La Lilac, Maybelline Go Nude, Revlon Creme Brulee


The shades are very similar, but have different pigmentation, I felt the Color Whispers were easier to build up opacity, while the Lip Butters are more sheer. They also feel more like a balm, whereas the Lip Butters have tiny micro shimmer which makes them slightly gritty feeling when you first put it on, but it's not that noticable. Although I thought they looked smaller than the Revlon Lip Butters, the Lip Butters are .09oz/2.55g and the Color Whispers contain more at .11oz/3g. Overall, I feel like they are different enough to justify owning both (am I just trying to convince myself?).

I'm definitely a fan of the Color Whispers and think they're a lovely, hydrating lip product for those who prefer soft, subtle shades. They're not totally sheer though, they give a nice soft pop of colour which is perfect for Spring! You do have to reapply often, but you usually have to do that with lip balm and those types of products anyway.

5 comments:

  1. I like how sheer the Loreal ones are, but I haven't tried the Maybelline Whispers yet! The lilac colors look pretty :) Also, I'm having a giveaway--hope you enter :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that Oh La Lilac shade looks like a Niki Minaj kind of shade that I think I'd be hesitant wearing, unless mixed with some color to make it more natural =S

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have many butters & whispers lol!
    I love them, and I agree with your review. The texture, pigmentation, and wear time differ enough to justify owning both, even though the color range is similar!

    I don't regret buying any of my lippies from either line!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the Whispers are a bit less sheer but still pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL I know what you mean, but I think this shade is a bit more wearable than the pastel lilacs that Nicki seems to favour. Good thing about the Color Whispers is that they have a wide variety of shades, so I'm sure there's some you would like! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and taking the time to comment! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...