Sep 20, 2013

DIY Ombre: Bleach Dark Brown Hair to Blonde Without Too Much Damage

So, before I put the purple in my hair I did an ombre using bleach. Last time I did a DIY Ombre at home, I used box dye and pretty much fried the shiz out of my poor hair... I tried everything known to man to put some moisture back into my frazzled hair, but eventually I just had to cut most of it off and start over. This time, I wanted to try and protect my hair as much as I could , so I did a few things differently...


First, I went to Sally Beauty and bought  ION Color Brilliance Powder Lightener, ION Sensitive Scalp 30 Vol Developer and Wella Color Charm Toner in T18, 'Lightest Ash Blonde'. Then I went to Walmart and bought a jar of Coconut oil! Coconut oil has been widely purported to have great moisturising and protective benefits for hair, so I decided to try it out and see if it worked.


  1. I coated my hair in the coconut oil, enough so that it was fully saturated, but not dripping. Note: I've also heard good things about protein filler and conditioner baths, but I have only tried coconut oil so far.
  2. I mixed 1 part bleach powder with 2 parts 30 Vol developer. 30 Vol is the highest you should go if you have dark brown hair, in order to not damage it too much. I applied the bleach mixture to the ends of my hair and worked up with my fingers, blending it by just dabbing it and rubbing it from the top down, getting a little higher each time. TIP: Use dishwashing gloves, they have textured bumps on the fingers that help with blending!
  3. I wrapped my head in saran wrap/cling wrap and left the bleach in for 40 minutes, heating it for about 20 minutes with my hair dryer. The ION Sensitive Scalp developer was amazing, it didn't sting my eyes or burn my scalp at all. After 40 minutes, I washed my hair out thoroughly with plain water, making sure to wash until all the coconut oil was gone. TIP: Sometimes the coconut oil can leave the hair feeling slimy/oily so really make sure you wash very well to get it out!
  4. If your hair is as light as you want it, then you can move on, however mine wasn't quite where I wanted it, so I repeated steps 1-3. Note: My hair still felt quite smooth and hydrated after bleaching it twice, I can only attribute it to the quality of the bleach and the coating of coconut oil. It wasn't in quite as good a condition as before bleaching, but it was much better than last time I bleached it!
  5. I then mixed 1 part 30 Vol Developer with 1 part Wella Color Charm Toner in T18, 'Lightest Ash Blonde', applied it to where I had bleached my hair and left it on for 20 minutes. This is to cancel out the yellow/orangey tones in your hair after bleaching. Note: You can use coconut oil before applying this as well, but I didn't.  I have heard of some people experiencing the toner not grabbing onto the hair because of the coconut oil, so I didn't want to risk it.
  6. Washed it out really really well with a generic brand Purple Toning shampoo from Sally Beauty and viola! This was the result:



My hair is still semi damp in this picture, as I didn't have time to dry it before I dyed it purple. I think the blending is pretty good (for having done it myself! Can't see the back of my head..) and I love the light brown to white blonde progression! It's definitely a lot less orange than last time I bleached my hair. My ends are still relatively soft and retained moisture without a lot of bleach damage. This is pretty amazing, seeing as I went from dark brown to white blonde at the tips! I definitely think the combination of the protective coconut oil and the ION Sensitive Scalp developer helped a lot with avoiding damage. I hope this helps next time you plan on bleaching your hair!

I'll be posting about my custom blend of Special Effects dyes to make a pretty purple very soon, so stay tuned!

11 comments:

  1. Krystal Kesson9/25/2013 4:53 PM

    oh wow! I LOVE the look of this! I have thick, curly red hair and it is almost impossible for me to go blonde...... Looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I love on hair extensions the Ombre style. It makes me feel so good every time I'm wearing different hair styles and colors because of my Ombre hair extensions, and I'm really glad that there's tons of DIY tutorial on doing the Ombre
    style. Thank you so much for sharing, this will definitely add up on my
    bookmarks :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi, I'm hoping to try this on my hair but am wondering about how long you left the bleach on your hair. did you apply it in increments? as in you out it on the tips for 10 minutes, then applied it a little bit further up and left for another 10 minutes, and so on? or did you just apply the bleach as far up as you wanted and then later only applied the ash blonde to the tips? I'm confused in your directions, any advice or help (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stated applying the bleach to the ends of my hair and then blended up with a tint brush. Same with the toner. I used downwards strokes to apply the bleach, but moved the brush up a bit higher each time and blended it in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How long did you wait to bleach it a second time ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. probably about 30mins, so not long at all
    [image: Disqus] Settings
    A new comment was posted on IshahxBeauty ------------------------------
    Mflores (Guest):

    How long did you wait to bleach it a second time ?

    4:54 p.m., Sunday April 13
    * Reply * Moderate this comment by email

    Email address: *mflores.college@gmail.com* | IP address: 108.225.50.103

    Reply to this email with “Delete”, “Approve”, or “Spam”, or moderate from the *Disqus moderation panel*.

    ------------------------------

    You're receiving this message because you're signed up to receive notifications about activity on threads authored by IshahxBeauty.

    You can unsubscribe from emails about activity on threads authored by IshahxBeauty by replying to this email with "unsubscribe" or reduce the rate with which these emails are sent by adjusting your notification settings.

    [image: Disqus]

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello! This looks amazing. I have black hair and am looking it to bleach it so I can add in the purple. QUick question- how much of each did you use? they sell the ion lightener in 1 oz or 16 oz

    ION Color Brilliance Powder Lightener, ION Sensitive Scalp 30 Vol Developer and Wella Color Charm Toner in T18, 'Lightest Ash Blonde'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello! This looks amazing. I have black hair and am looking to bleach it so I can add in the purple. Quick question- how much (ozs? whole package?) of each did you use every time you bleached it?

    ION Color Brilliance Powder Lightener, ION Sensitive Scalp 30 Vol Developer and Wella Color Charm Toner in T18, 'Lightest Ash Blonde'.

    they sell the ion lightener in 1 oz or 16 oz

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got the big bottles and a big tub of powder just because I wanted to have them on hand if I wanted to redo my hair. If you want to just do it once, I think I probably mixed 1oz of lightener with 2oz of developer.
    [image: Disqus] Settings
    A new comment was posted on IshahxBeauty ------------------------------
    *josie*
    hello! This looks amazing. I have black hair and am looking it to bleach it so I can add in the purple. QUick question- how much of each did you use? they sell the ion lightener in 1 oz or 16 oz

    ION Color Brilliance Powder Lightener, ION Sensitive Scalp 30 Vol Developer and Wella Color Charm Toner in T18, 'Lightest Ash Blonde'.

    8:34 p.m., Saturday July 5
    * Reply to josie * Moderate this comment by email

    Email address: *joslee545@gmail.com* | IP address: 68.33.207.218

    Reply to this email with “Delete”, “Approve”, or “Spam”, or moderate from the *Disqus moderation panel* .

    ------------------------------

    You're receiving this message because you're signed up to receive notifications about activity on threads authored by IshahxBeauty.

    You can unsubscribe from emails about activity on threads authored by IshahxBeauty by replying to this email with "unsubscribe" or reduce the rate with which these emails are sent by adjusting your notification settings .
    [image: Disqus]

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got the big bottles and a big tub of powder just because I wanted to have them on hand if I wanted to redo my hair. If you want to just do it once, I think I probably mixed 1oz of lightener with 2oz of developer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks!! looked at many websites. loved yours the most. I bought all the materials and will try this weekend. thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and taking the time to comment! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...